ORGANO PHOSPHORUS COMPOUND POISONING, COMPLICATED ACUTE RENAL FAILURE AND DELAYED POST HYPOXIC ENCEPHALOPATHY - A CASE REPORT

Main Article Content

Suresh Babu S
A K Badrinath
K Suresh
Debranjani C

Abstract

Organophosphorus compound (OPC) poisoning is one of the most common poisons in rural India. We present a 27year old female patient who came to us in altered sensorium and frothing from the mouth with an alleged history of OPC intake about 2 hours back. The patient was intubated, connected to a mechanical ventilator and atropine. On day 3 of admission patient had elevated renal parameters and was diagnosed as Acute Renal Failure due to acute tubular necrosis probably poison induced. On day 4 of admission she suffered an acute cardiac arrest and was resuscitated; following this she gradually improved and after 3weeks of intensive management her sensorium deteriorated. MRI Brain showed Diffuse Cerebral White Matter Leukodystrophy due to DEMYELINATION (Hypoxia-induced).


KEYWORDS: Organophosphorus compound poisoning, Acute renal failure, demyelination, leukoencephalopathy.

Article Details

How to Cite
Babu S, S., Badrinath, A. K., Suresh, K., & C, D. (2019). ORGANO PHOSPHORUS COMPOUND POISONING, COMPLICATED ACUTE RENAL FAILURE AND DELAYED POST HYPOXIC ENCEPHALOPATHY - A CASE REPORT. International Journal of Clinical and Biomedical Research, 1(3), 95-101. Retrieved from https://ijcbr.com/index.php/ijcbr/article/view/42
Section
Case Reports