Authors: Suresh Babu S, A K Badrinath, K Suresh, Debranjani C
Int J Clin and Biomed Res 2015; 1 (3):95-101
Organophosphorus compound (OPC) poisoning is one of the most common poisons in rural India. We present a 27year old female patient who came to us in altered sensorium and froathing from mouth with an alleged history of OPC intake about 2 hours back. The patient was intubated, connected to a mechanical ventilator and atropinized. On day 3 of admission patient had elevated renal parameters and was diagnosed as Acute Renal Failure due to acute tubular necrosis probably poison induced. On day 4 of admission she suffered an acute cardiac arrest and was resuscitated; following this she gradually improved and after 3weeks of intensive management her sensorium deteriorated. MRI Brain showed Diffuse Cerebral White Matter Leukodystrophy due to DEMYELINATION (Hypoxia induced).
KEYWORDS: Organophosphorus compound poisoning, Acute renal failure, demyelination, leukoencephalopathy.